commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [math] rename o.a.c.m.linear.SingularMatrixException to SingularLinearOperatorException
Date Sun, 02 Oct 2011 12:43:34 GMT
Hi Sébastien.[1]

On Sun, Oct 02, 2011 at 01:34:50PM +0200, Sébastien Brisard wrote:
> Right. I tend to like self-describing names also good. In french
> (you've rightly spotted a non-native speaker...), an "operator" is not
> necessarily linear, and I think same goes to english terminology
> (could you confirm please). So a linear operator is not exactly
> identical to an operator.
> However, as Phil pointed out, the distinction does not really matter
> when it goes to exceptions. So maybe I could replace LinearOperator
> with Operator in exception names. For other classes, with more
> mathematical meaning, we could keep LinearOperator, even if it makes
> for very long names. Would that suit everyone?
> Sébastien

> >> I like full words.   I don't know about "linear" vs "operator" in
> >> "LinearOperator" but I think the "linear" can safely be dropped in
> >> "SingularLinearOperator."
> >

> > Abbreviations don't really shorten names.  They just make them impossible
> > for non-native speakers to guess.  And if abbreviations are done by
> > non-native speakers, they become impossible for anybody to guess.
> >
> > +1 to avoiding abbreviations where possible.

+1 also because it is the standard style in Java (for better or worse).

As I've pointed out somewhere else[2], to avoid an avalanche of exception
classes[3], the default assumption should probably not be that every concept
embodied in a Java class must have its own set of subsumed exceptions.
Rather, failures are more of a concern that is cross-cutting along possibly
unrelated (algorithm) classes. E.g. even if an operator is not always a
linear operator, couldn't it be that using one or the other could trigger a
"SingularOperatorException" (where the "ExceptionContext" would be used to
more fully describe the specifics of each case)?

[1] A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.

[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-485

[3] This is the same problem as the numerous error messages in the
    "LocalizedFormats" enum.