commons-dev mailing list archives

From cwinter <chwinterho...@aol.com>
Subject Re: [math] Distributions over sample spaces other than R
Date Sat, 29 Oct 2011 16:07:19 GMT

cwinter wrote:

> [...] Regarding IntergerDistribution I don't have a preference on leaving
> it in the current hierarchy or making it to a new root.
>
> Christian

Just now, while pulling inverseCumulativeProbability form
ContinuousDistribution up to Distribution, I got a conflict with
IntegerDistribution: IntegerDistribution.inverseCumulativeProbability wants
to return int which doesn't fit to the return type double of
Distribution.inverseCumulativeProbability.
Either the return type has to be changed to double for all integer
distributions - which is quite annoying - or we need to pull
IntegerDistribution out of the hierachy - which is my favorite now. For the
case that there is a requirement for embedding the domain into the reals, we
could implement the procedure IntegerDistribution.toDiscreteDistribution()
returning the appropriate DiscreteDistribution.

Best Regards,
Christian