commons-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Gary Lucas" <gwlu...@sonalysts.com>
Subject RE: [sanselan] Question about Java coding style for sanselan project
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2011 18:28:44 GMT

Gary,

Thanks for the tip on the POM... I would have spent a lot of time looking for that.

I don't absolutely have to use generics, but it is kind of the way things are trending these
days.  I'll wait and see what the community has to say about it.

g.



-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Gregory [mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com] 
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 2:19 PM
To: Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: [sanselan] Question about Java coding style for sanselan project

Hello Gary(!):

The project POM defines:

    <maven.compile.source>1.4</maven.compile.source>
    <maven.compile.target>1.4</maven.compile.target>

Java 1.4 is the current requirement.

Using generics would mean bumping the requirements of the project to Java 5.


I do not know enough about the project to know if this is acceptable. Seems OK to me though.

I am not sure who on this ML knows this project well enough either, so speak up ML.

No revision comments. That's what SVN is for.

Cheers,
Gary

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Gary Lucas <gwlucas@sonalysts.com> wrote:

> I am working on a couple of patches for sanselan.  These involve about 
> a couple of dozen files.  I had two questions about coding style:
>
> First question: Is it okay to use generics for collections?  These are 
> a Java 1.5 element and I've noticed a couple of comments on the project page
> mentioning support for 1.4.   I suspect that consideration is now obsolete
> since Java is now into version 1.7.
>
> Second question:  Does anyone have preferences/guidelines for including
> "revision history" or "change log" information in the comments?   At the
> present time, the sanselan code is practically without any comments at 
> all, so I don't have any examples.  I can see an argument for not 
> including change log comments in a file because the subversion system 
> maintains information about change histories.  I can also see an 
> argument for including them because a list of short, informative 
> change notes at the top of a file can save a lot of time in the middle 
> of a debugging session, especially in those times when one doesn't 
> have access to the Internet
>
> Here's a strawman for a change log.  I would put these in the code 
> right below the Apache copyright information which appears at the top 
> of all sanselan code files.
>
>
> /*--------------------------------------------------------------------
> -----
>  *
>  *   Revision History:
>  *
>  *   Date     Name       Description
>  *   ------   ---------
>  ---------------------------------------------------
>  *   --/----  Sanselan   Sanselan 0.97 baseline (author unknown)
>  *   09/2011  G. Lucas   Fix byte-order issue in double arrays for EXIF
> tags
>
>  
> *---------------------------------------------------------------------
> -----
>  * Notes:
>
>  
> *---------------------------------------------------------------------
> -----
>  */
>
>
> Computer Programming is the Art of the Possible Gary W. Lucas 
> Sonalysts, Inc.
> 215 Parkway North
> Waterford, CT 06385
> 41-22-12.35 N / 72-10-07.54 W  (USNG/MGRS:  18T YL 36787 83711)
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@commons.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@commons.apache.org
>
>


--
E-Mail: garydgregory@gmail.com | ggregory@apache.org JUnit in Action, 2nd Ed: <http://goog_1249600977>http://bit.ly/ECvg0
Spring Batch in Action: <http://s.apache.org/HOq>http://bit.ly/bqpbCK
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@commons.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@commons.apache.org


Mime
View raw message