commons-dev mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [chain][discuss] v2 upgrade - follow-up
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 00:41:15 GMT
On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 9:31 PM, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Simone Tripodi
> <simonetripodi@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi all guys,
>> I just fixed the clirr report generation and deployed the chain2 site
>> on my personal ASF space[1], in order we can discuss the patch that
>> Elijah kindly provided.
>> WDYT? It is IMHO acceptable in order to apply the modifications in /trunk.
>
> Simo, thanks for taking the lead on this and, most importantly,
> getting the report published for perusal.  The report brought to my
> attention the change in the inheritance hierarchy of the ContextBase
> class, which seems really to present the largest available surface
> area for concern.  I have noted the only real consequence I see on the
> JIRA issue, but for my own personal interpretation of the situation I
> can agree that the minor assaults on backward compatibility don't
> really concern me, taken in context.  Do we have any active Commons
> committers who have developed, or even *used* [chain]?

Chain was born out of Struts 1.3 which wanted to move from a
monolithic RequestProcessor to something that could be composed of
Commands enabling people to customize the request processing of Struts
by adding/replacing their own commands in the request processing
chain. Struts 1.x still depends on Commons Chain and while there are
probably still quite a few Struts 1.x apps still in use, there hasn't
been a Struts 1.x release for a number of years. For anyone wondering
why there is a "web" element of Chain though, this is the reason. I
seriously doubt that there is much call from users for the web
elements outside of old Struts 1.x users. Perhaps if there is going to
be incompatible changes, then it should be radical, change the package
name and dump the web parts? I don't believe Struts 1.x would have any
need to upgrade.

Niall