commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [lang] Running lang under a security manager and LANG-744
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2011 04:37:34 GMT
I'm less concerned with the 115 errors, unless they're all as grievous
as the StringUtils one - ie) the method causing trouble is not the
only one broken.

If the error happened when calling stripAccents, that would be
workable; but having all of StringUtils unavailable is very painful.
One option would be to move the code out of the static initializer and
make it lazy when stripAccents is first called - leading to only
callers of stripAccents when the JDK 6 class is unavailable to suffer
pain.

I thought we could simplify things by simply making the java6Available
flag be a real test for Java 6, but Android seems very weird there. Is
Android going to force us to stay on the EOL Java 5, or is it Java 6
compatible? IIUC it reports itself as 0.9, which we've declared as
equivalent to JDK 1.5.

That relates to another (simple) solution - move to Java 6 :)

Hen