commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [parent] adding buildnumber in the manifest entries
Date Sat, 10 Sep 2011 15:18:06 GMT
On 10 September 2011 16:09, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could be I am misunderstanding the proposal here, but IIUC there is another problem when
it comes to release jars.  Current practice is to create the jars from what ends up being
the final RC tag.  This tag is then either copied or moved to the release tag, which becomes
the definitive source.  So at the time the jar is created, the tag/revision pair that the
build number should point to does not exist.  The only choice would seem then to be to reference
the RC tag which may end up deleted.  So again, it would seem better to me to either omit
the attribute from release jars or just use the (anticipated) final release tag name.

Tag rename/copy history unfortunately shows the repo revision at the
time of the copy which makes it quite hard to know what revision was
actually used for the build. You have to scan the history to check for
changes.

The point is just to record what was used to create the jars.
Yes, this will differ from the final tag, but having the information
is better than not having it, IMO.

Note:
One solution to all this uncertainty is to abandon RCs, and just use
revision numbers.
If the vote fails, bump the revision number and throw away the old
revision and tag. This is what Tomcat and Httpd do.