commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [chain][v2] updated clirr report
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 00:02:11 GMT
On 4 September 2011 20:04, Simone Tripodi <simonetripodi@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all guys,
> the clirr report has just been updated on my personal ASF space[1],
> can you review please?

As it stands, 2.0 is not strictly binary compatible with 1.2.

However, it depends whether the changes affect the published API, or
are internal changes that should not affect external code.

For example, the "commands" field - is there a use case for external
code? Or is just an implementation detail?

I don't know the code or how it is used, so it is difficult to say,
but IMO there are some binary incompatibilities that can be ignored.
e.g. the old code defined a string field that was supposed to be
constant, but failed to use final. If there is no valid use case for
changing the value of the constant, then I think there is a case for
allowing that, even though it is not strictly compatible - if code
does write to the field then that code is broken anyway.