commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sébastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject Re: [math] Porting someone else's work (license and all that)
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2011 04:43:19 GMT
Good news! Please read below Pr. Saunders's answer. Should I send the
ICLA through the usual way (secretary@ if I remember well), or shhould
I use another channel, explaining precisely to the recipient at Apache
what it is all about?
Sébastien

Dear Sébastien,

Thank you for your interest in SYMMLQ and for explaining the background
in detail.  Certainly I'm glad for you to make use of the code in this way.
I'm sorry I haven't done anything to the Fortran and Matlab versions for a
long time.  Our SOL website points to python versions in case they are of
interest.  MINRES and MINRES-QLP would also be suitable for indefinite
systems (and sometimes preferable -- e.g., if you wish to terminate early).
(We have a new f90 implementation of MINRES-QLP.)

I'd be glad to hear a little about your materials application in case a
particular feature suggests a preferable solver.

The CPL was rather arbitrary.  It's fine to use the Apache license too.
A signed copy is attached.

Best wishes for this endeavor,
Michael

Michael Saunders