commons-dev mailing list archives

From S├ębastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject [math] Porting someone else's work (license and all that)
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2011 06:14:41 GMT
Dear Commons-Math community,
I've recently been using quite extensively the SYMMLQ linear iterative
solver proposed by Page and Saunders, for its ability to handle
symmetric *non-definite* systems. I know it's not the only one around,
but that's not the point.
My point is I would like to commit this implementation to the CM
library. However, the core of the code is a mere port of the FORTRAN
code downoadable on Pr. Saunders's homepage
http://www.stanford.edu/group/SOL/software/symmlq.html. The FORTRAN
source comes with a license, which I include here for the sake of
completeness
{quote}
symmlq_f77.README

The software for SYMMLQ (f77 version) is provided by SOL, Stanford University
under the terms of the OSI Common Public License (CPL):
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/cpl1.0.php

11 Feb 2000: First set of files available for download from SOL.

Please send comments to Michael Saunders, SOL, Stanford University
                        saunders@stanford.edu  650-723-1875

The f77 version of SYMMLQ involves the following files:

   symmlq.f
   symmlqblas.f   (not needed if you have BLAS-1)
   symmlqtest.f
{quote}
My question is: how do I proceed from here? Is the CPL compatible with
the Apache License (I think it is)? Courtesy would probably require to
get in touch with Pr. Saunders. Do you allow me to do it on behalf of
the CM community? Maybe one of the historical committers would rather
do it? If Pr. Saunders agrees on signing the Commons License
Agreement, would it still be required that the CPL be included?

Thanks for your answers,
S├ębastien