commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] FastMath preset tables (Was: Re: svn commit: r1169437 - [...])
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2011 19:57:30 GMT
On 9/14/11 12:43 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 7:27 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 14 September 2011 20:16, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> This is a red herring.  No web server I know of restarts Java processes
>> like
>>> this.  The JVM is kept hot and classes are not unloaded lightly.
>> True, but the server does not normally load all the classes in all its
>> libraries, surely?
>>
> No.  But it is easy to code up some warmup in the startup part of the life
> cycle.  That should be a penalty paid once when the server starts, not later
> on the first request.  In the worst case, you can build a simple startup
> script that starts the server and then hits a few URL's to get the classes
> loaded.  You can also do soft start with your load balancer.

Yeah and watch it fall over when you bounce it under load or when
you are trying to dynamically manage load by quickly starting
instances to respond to load surges.  Startup time can be important
in online applications.  Luc mentioned other examples as well.

> Seriously.  This is a total red herring.

Not to the users who reported the problem.  We have a fix.  I am +1
on the code in trunk and ++1 on ending this discussion.

Phil