commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] Two "Complex" classes? (Was: Re: [math] Complex division)
Date Sun, 11 Sep 2011 22:09:37 GMT
Another example comes from the random distributions.  The current design
separates generating values from evaluating CDF's even though users think of
those as operations on the same object.  Moreover, there is an intricate
lattice of (unique) implementations and interfaces that the user has to
figure out when all they want is a distribution.  This isn't user centered
design.   And it doesn't facilitate improvement or back compatibility.

Have you looked at the code in trunk for the distributions?  Does it
still need to be made easier to use?  We added sampling directly to
the distribution classes.  If it still looks too hard to use,
patches are welcome as we prepare for 3.0.

Phil