commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [ALL] parent plugin updates [was: svn commit: r1164565 - /commons/proper/commons-parent/trunk/pom.xml]
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 11:24:39 GMT
Le 04/09/2011 12:59, sebb a écrit :
> On 4 September 2011 11:23, sebb<sebbaz@gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> Isn't it related to a problem that arose some weeks ago about the resource
>>> not being copied from source tree to classpath ? I think it appeared first
>>> in Gump and someone updated the configuration to match what maven did
>>> automatically. Perhaps these new plugins do not behave like the previous one
>>> with respect to copying data files for tests ?
>>
>> Yes, I think that may be it.
>>
>> Just run another test using "mvn clean" first, and that now causes the
>> error on Windows too.
>> Sorry, I thought I had done that previously.
>>
>> I propose to update the test case to replace the NPE with a more
>> useful message if possible.
>>
>> And I'll have a look at which plugin is causing the problem.
>
> Problem solved.
>
> It was not a plugin version issue. The problem was caused by the
> change in parent from 20->21 which added the following:
>
>      <!-- ensure test jars also get NOTICE&  LICENSE files -->
>      <testResources>
>        <testResource>
>          <directory>${basedir}</directory>
>          <targetPath>META-INF</targetPath>
>          <includes>
>            <include>NOTICE.txt</include>
>            <include>LICENSE.txt</include>
>          </includes>
>        </testResource>
>      </testResources>
>
> This replaced the default testResources definition in the super-Pom, which is:
>
>      <testResources>
>        <testResource>
>          <directory>src/test/resources</directory>
>        </testResource>
>      </testResources>
>
> The parent POM also redefines<resources>:
>
>      <resources>
>        <resource>
>          <directory>${basedir}</directory>
>          <targetPath>META-INF</targetPath>
>          <includes>
>            <include>NOTICE.txt</include>
>            <include>LICENSE.txt</include>
>          </includes>
>        </resource>
>      </resources>
>
> This has been there since version 3. This replaces:
>
>      <resources>
>        <resource>
>          <directory>src/main/resources</directory>
>        </resource>
>      </resources>
>
> which is presumably why the MATH pom has to define its own<resources>
> entry to include the localisation directory.
>
> I think we have two ways forward here:
> 1) ensure that the parent resources and testResources entries include
> the default provided by the super-pom
> 2) find a different way to include the N&L files which does not
> require overriding the super-pom

I'm not sure this is related, but in another project with a similar
layout, we add some problems getting the resources on an Android system.
I thought putting a few thing in META-INF was safe and maven compliant,
so I put the localization files there. However, android seems to put
only its own stuff in META-INF, so reusing this location is perhaps bad.

Should we take this opportunity to move some resources in another folder
? Android seems to use an "assets" folder, would it be maven compliant ?
Should we use something more specific to our components ?

Luc