commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] Release Commons VFS 2.0
Date Sun, 21 Aug 2011 05:26:06 GMT
None were blockers btw.

The only really important one is:

>> Mention the package name change on the frontpage. Also that this means
>> you can run both versions side by side.
>
> Did you read the News section? Isn't that clear?

And the answer there is nope, didn't see it. Eyes weren't working. :)

Hen

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Notes below.
> On Aug 20, 2011, at 1:54 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
>> I'll try to dig deeper, but don't wait on me.
>>
>> On the website:
>>
>> This is a bad page. A user clicks 'examples' and gets a blank page
>> (pretty much):
>>
>>  http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/commons-vfs/site/commons-vfs2-examples/index.html
>
> When you said "bad page" I thought the link was broken or something.  I guess you mean
"poor page" in that it doesn't contain good content.  I agree with that but wouldn't consider
that to be a blocker.

>> Clirr reports would be nice to show the API change. You'll have to be
>> somewhat manual to deal with the package change (ie: checkout the
>> current code, search and replace the package name back and rebuild
>> with clirr reports).
>
> Is it really worth all that effort? The release notes say the package name changed. If
I could configure the maven plugin to do that it might have considered it.

>> Checkstyle needs configuring to ignore all the 'magic numbers'.
>
> I disagree with this. I fixed way over 10,000 checkstyle errors. I didn't get to these
because they are tedious and I don't know what all those magic numbers mean.  However, I
agree with checkstyle that they should be fixed. I'd rather have the errors in the report
so that maybe it bugs someone to fix them than just ignore them.

>> Couple of high rated issues in Findbugs to fix in subsequent release.
>
> Agree - I fixed other errors Findbugs found but the fixes for those two weren't clear
to me.  One complains about using a Random once (what is wrong with that?).