commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [logging] logging vs slf4j
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 15:07:28 GMT
Paul,

> BTW, in terms of swelling community development, if LOG4J+JCL were to
> merge and just become JCL2, it could have the visibility of all
> Commons committers. Isn't it much more of a common component than a
> separate project? I think the logging project is dysfunctional anyway
> -- make it a common component if possible.

in logging.apache.org are other sub projects doing similar stuff, like
log4php, log4c and such. In addition there is the companions
subproject.

And there is some activity in the logging project. We have had a new
addition to the PMC recently and log4php has released a new version
before a short while. Together with the log4j2 efforts and the efforts
put from time to time into cmpanions and chainsaw, I would say the
project is a bit silent, but not dead.

If you take out log4j, everything else in logging would become instable.

http://www.grobmeier.de