commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] Release Commons VFS 2.0
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2011 16:50:04 GMT
On 14 August 2011 16:25, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> This is a vote to release Apache Commons VFS 2.0.
>
> Since the last candidate the package name was changed from vfs to vfs2. Many of the Jira
issues were reviewed and those that required a possibly incompatible API change were addressed.
Most instances of StringBuffer were replaced with StringBuilder. Some synchronization issues
were addressed. Many javadoc and some checkstyle issues were addressed. The filesystem documentation
was improved to list file system capabilities.

> [ ] +1 release it
> [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
> [X] -1 no, do not release it because...

Notice file still shows 2010.

It also refers to the (optional) Javamail library.
Since that is not actually included in any of the archives, it should
not be mentioned.

[If it were necessary to include a mention of JavaMail in NOTICE, then
it would be necessary to include the corresponding license in LICENSE]

==

Not a blocker, but a pain for checking the release:
- lots of source files contain @version $Revision $. This uses local
time, which means my checkout of SVN does not match the source
archives.

There are some EOL issues:

svn ps svn:eol-style native README.txt
svn ps svn:eol-style native RELEASE-NOTES.txt
svn ps svn:eol-style native osgi/MANIFEST.MF
svn ps svn:eol-style native src/changes/announcement.vm

I'm not convinced that the code really needs to be
binary-incompatible, but that is a separate discussion.

However, the release notes ought to mention code is not source
compatible with VFS 1.x and that the package name has changed.

mvn install produces some warnings:

[WARNING] Ignoring project type pom - supportedProjectTypes = [jar, bundle]
[WARNING] DEPRECATED [tasks]: Use target instead
[WARNING] DEPRECATED [systemProperties]: Use systemPropertyVariables instead.

also the error

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] Error assembling JAR

Embedded error: Manifest file: