commons-dev mailing list archives

From Julius Davies <juliusdav...@gmail.com>
Subject [codec] Encoder / Decoder interface
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 18:28:56 GMT
Hi,

What do people think of the Encoder / Decoder interface in
commons-codec?  Do people use it?

I know in my own usage patterns of commons-codec, I always go straight
for the concrete class that I want, and I never make use of the
Encoder / Decoder interface.

I'm in grad school right now, and one of the things I'm doing is
analyzing every jar, zip, tar, and war in the Maven2 central
repository.  I could take a look to try and find out how often jars
that depend on commons-codec inside Maven2 make use of the Encoder /
Decoder interfaces.  Of course it doesn't tell us anything about
proprietary systems or other systems that are not in Maven2, but it is
a pretty big collection of Java these days, might be interesting.

--
yours,

Julius Davies
604-222-3310 (Home)

$ sudo apt-get install cowsay
$ echo "Moo." | cowsay | cowsay -n | cowsay -n
http://juliusdavies.ca/cowsay/