commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sébastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject Re: [math] Monitoring iterative algorithms
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2011 05:46:53 GMT
2011/8/8 Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com>:

> +1 to the idea of using the Observer pattern; but -0 for
> Observable.  I would favor defining Events and Listeners because a)
> Observable is concrete, so effectively forces you to create an
> Observable delegate

I'm not sure I understand. Components in java.awt also need to
implement quite a few methods like addListener, fireEvent, and so on.
Maybe we could write a DefaultObservable, which would implement most
of the methods required by Observable, and could be inherited by some
(probably not all, unfortunately) of the already implemented iterative
algorithms ?

> and b) the interface is crude and is really
> designed for GUI scenarios where observers are holding references to
> the Observable and just being notified that something has changed.
> Events are more flexible and can be implemented using interfaces.
> Has anyone ever actually used Observable outside of a GUI m/v
> environment?   Does anyone know of event frameworks suitable for
> monitoring long-running computations that we might adapt?
>
> In any case, I think it is a good idea to develop an event framework
> for [math].  We should probably also think about doing this in a way
> that is at least JMX-friendly.
>
> Phil

Browsing through the JavaDoc, I realized that o.a.c.m.ode has some
event handling facilities. Is the implementer still around?
Sebastien