commons-dev mailing list archives

From S├ębastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject Re: [math] Numerical derivatives in Commons Math
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 05:50:25 GMT
As Patrick suggested, this approach should really be extended to
multivariate functions. To cite but one example, I recently attended a
conf where Pr. Prevost (Princeton) talked about non-linear finite
elements calcs. The long standing approach had always been to
implement the analytical expressions tangent stiffness (which is
nothing but a jacobian matrix). He argued strongly against it for at
least two reasons
  - it is error-prone,
  - most of the time, the expressions are so complex that their
evaluation is just as time-consuming as a numerical derivative.
So, having some robust algorithms for multidimensional functions
already implemented in CM would in my view be invaluable.
S├ębastien