commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@joda.org>
Subject Re: [codec] getting the bmpm code out there
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 10:29:22 GMT
On 12 August 2011 11:19, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> - Removing deprecated methods does not require a package name change
>
> How so?
>
> If there are any external references to them in an application that
> cannot be removed, then both old and new jars will need to be
> deployed.
> Which cannot be done safely in a single classloader (no guarantee
> which instance of duplicated classes will be loaded).
> AFAIK Maven prevents duplicates anyway.

In Joda-Time v2.0 I removed some deprecated methods and left others in
(no package name change). Those that I removed were methods that were
deprecated for a very long time (probably4years+), with multiple later
versions with the deprecation and easy alternates. Those that I did
not remove were classes and methods that were probably still in use by
people as they were once a primary API. This is a judgement call.

And yes, removing a deprecated element means that another project that
still uses the deprecation can no longer run. But if you've had
something deprecated for over 3 years, that doesn't seem too harsh,
unless it used to be a key/primary API.

In hard cases, I'd rather see "NewFoo" of "Foo2" replacing "Foo"
within the same package name, or a new sub-package within the same
o.a.c.codec package space rather than o.a.c.codec2 for everything.

Stephen