commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simone Tripodi <simonetrip...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for August 2011 (dev@commons.apache.org)
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 14:29:45 GMT
Hi all guys,
follows below my report, it contains part copied from July since they
didn't accept we reported after the deadline. Mentors: please sign and
paste on Wiki! :P
TIA, all the best and have a nice day!!!
Simo

OGNL

Apache OGNL is a Java development framework for Object-Graph
Navigation Language, plus other extras such as list projection and
selection and lambda expressions.

The project joined the Incubator on April 26, 2011.

 * A list of the three most important issues to address in the move
towards graduation.

 - make at least a big release that shows to Commons PMC the
compliancy level of OGNL to Commons policies;
 - attract more users, at the moment only Apache Struts people are
interested because they heavily use OGNL;
 - attract new committers.

 * Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware of

 - not every PPMC member joined the private ML yet;
 - due to OpenSymphony dismissing, we need importing old issues to ASF
jira. We finally contacted someone from OpenSymphony and obtained the
huge Issue dump/XML backup, there is someone that is working on it,
but due to security policy (the dump contains also users and password
hashes), before importing it, an open-heart surgery is needed.
 - we started speaking about a possible OGNL graduation: most of the
community is already in commons and/or struts, so OGNL has a proven
community which will not go away after a while. If OGNL will fail, it
will become a dormant component within commons. People here of course
know about the apache way. There are only two people (Marc Andrew and
Luke) new to the
ASF, but they could learn the apache way as every other new committer to
commons (if necessary).

 * How has the community developed since the last report

Community activity decreased since codebase has been imported &
polished; we finally reached Luc Blanchard, the other OGNL original
author, that signed & submitted the OGNL SoftwareGrant & ICLA - we
also voted him as a new committer since he should have been included
in the initial committers list

 * How has the project developed since the last report.

A reported above, codebase has been imported & polished, we are in the
middle of a big refactoring stripping off generated code by JavaCC
that was versioned in the SCM and modified.

Signed off by mentor:

http://www.99soft.org/