commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject [compress] How to move forward with XZ support
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 09:00:41 GMT
Hi,

.xz is to LZMA what .gz is to the DEFLATE compression algorithm, and it
starts to get used by quite a few tools/systems in the Unix/Linux
world.  For example more recent GNU tar versions use -J to support the
format (like -z for gzip and -j for bzip2), the GNU core utils come
with an xz command and recent RPMs can use .xz compressed tarballs as
well.  This is a format we want to support 8-)

Lasse Collin the author of the public domain "XZ in Java" package[1] has
offered to help us build Compressors on top of his package.

We basically have two options:

* forking the required classes of "XZ in Java" into Compress (Lasse
  already has a CLA on file and I'm sure we could arrange for the two
  code bases to stay in sync)

* add a (optional) binary dependency on "XZ in Java".  Currently the
  package is not available via a Maven repo, but this can probably be
  arranged as well.

The first option would allow us to support the format without requiring
another JAR, the second one may be less work from a maintenance POV.
Shading a binary dependency could provide some middle ground.

Which option do we prefer?

Stefan

[1] http://tukaani.org/xz/java.html