commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] Release Commons VFS 2.0
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2011 17:03:35 GMT
Thanks, Sebb. See below.

On Aug 14, 2011, at 9:50 AM, sebb wrote:

> On 14 August 2011 16:25, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> This is a vote to release Apache Commons VFS 2.0.
>>
>> Since the last candidate the package name was changed from vfs to vfs2. Many of the
Jira issues were reviewed and those that required a possibly incompatible API change were
addressed. Most instances of StringBuffer were replaced with StringBuilder. Some synchronization
issues were addressed. Many javadoc and some checkstyle issues were addressed. The filesystem
documentation was improved to list file system capabilities.

>> [ ] +1 release it
>> [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
>> [X] -1 no, do not release it because...
>
> Notice file still shows 2010.
>
> It also refers to the (optional) Javamail library.
> Since that is not actually included in any of the archives, it should
> not be mentioned.
>
> [If it were necessary to include a mention of JavaMail in NOTICE, then
> it would be necessary to include the corresponding license in LICENSE]
>
> ==
>
> Not a blocker, but a pain for checking the release:
> - lots of source files contain @version $Revision $. This uses local
> time, which means my checkout of SVN does not match the source
> archives.
>
> There are some EOL issues:
>
> svn ps svn:eol-style native README.txt
> svn ps svn:eol-style native RELEASE-NOTES.txt
> svn ps svn:eol-style native osgi/MANIFEST.MF
> svn ps svn:eol-style native src/changes/announcement.vm
>
> I'm not convinced that the code really needs to be
> binary-incompatible, but that is a separate discussion.
>
> However, the release notes ought to mention code is not source
> compatible with VFS 1.x and that the package name has changed.
>
> mvn install produces some warnings:
>
> [WARNING] Ignoring project type pom - supportedProjectTypes = [jar, bundle]
> [WARNING] DEPRECATED [tasks]: Use target instead

I can't fix the above two lines. They are caused by changes in commons-parent version 21.

> [WARNING] DEPRECATED [systemProperties]: Use systemPropertyVariables instead.
>
> also the error
>
> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> [INFO] Error assembling JAR
>
> Embedded error: Manifest file:
> D:\RC\commons-vfs2-distribution-2.0-src-zip\commons-vfs-2.0\core\org.apache.maven.model.Model@718242
> does not exist.

I got a response from Dennis Lundberg. I forwarded that. It appears I will have to create
yet another module to put the common resources such as checkstyle.xml. This, of course, is
also going to end up being a new artifact in the Maven repo. <sigh>.