commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [lang] Adding a Memoizer class
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2011 19:38:44 GMT
Am 10.08.2011 01:23, schrieb Gary Gregory:
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Simone Tripodi<simonetripodi@apache.org>  wrote:
>> Good news! :)
>
> Well... I am having second thoughts now baed on Tim's reply:
>
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Tim Peierls<tim@peierls.net>  wrote:
>> Probably not a good idea to use Memoizer unchanged from the book, though.
>> See Guava's MapMaker for ideas about how to turn Memoizer into a
>> production-ready utility.
>>
>> --tim
>>

> Now I am thinking of dumping my Memoizer in favor of MapMaker... not
> sure though. It seems smelly to bring in MapMaker into [lang].
>
> Thoughts,

Just had a short glance on the API of MapMaker. My impression is that it
is out of scope for [lang] as it is a full blown collection with many
sophisticated features.

Compared to this a Memoizer is a pretty simplistic component, but it may
nevertheless be useful for some cases. It could be slightly extended,
e.g. by providing a flush() operation.

And I would recommend another name. At least for me as non-native
speaker it is hard to imagine what a Memoizer is supposed to do. I would
probably use something with "Cache" in its name.

Oliver

>>> http://garygregory.com/
>>> http://people.apache.org/~ggregory/