commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] Re: Release managing a major version [and Lang 3.0 post mortem]
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2011 15:59:08 GMT
On 8/10/11 12:48 AM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Phil Steitz wrote:
>
>> On 8/9/11 4:05 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:
>>> Thanks for the nudge.  I'll bite.  Of course anyone is welcome to
>>> browse the open JIRA issues with 3.0 as fix version and add comments
>>> :)
>> I started slugging through JIRA.  Made it all the way through the
>> unclassified list and will finish the first pass through the 3.0
>> issues tomorrow.  I created a 3.1 version to push stuff into that
>> can be done without worrying about 3.0-compatibility.
> Another strategy I've used with success is a "3.x Maintenance" version as a
> placeholder for anything that can be resolved as part of a 3.x release. When
> you resolve an issue, you can set the proper version and anything that is
> post-phoned does not have to be touched when cutting the release ... ;-)

Yeah, that is pretty much what I meant by 3.1, with the following
additional "meaning"

3.0 - must fix for 3.0 release == bad bugs, things virtually
finished, API changes we are comfortable with
3.1 - not showstopper bugs, enhancements not started or not far
enough along, API improvements that can be done compatibly
4.0 (nothing there yet) - API changes that will not be doable
compatibly in 3.x but we are not ready to do them for 3.0

Phil