commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] right way to throw IndexOutOfBoundsException?
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2011 20:29:00 GMT
On 8/8/11 12:55 PM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> Le 08/08/2011 21:25, Phil Steitz a écrit :
>> On 8/8/11 12:03 PM, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
>>> Hi.

>>> As shown above, you can add as many items of context information
>>> as you want
>>> with the exception context. The example I've suggested above
>>> will create a
>>> message that will print something like:
>>>
>>>    OutOfRangeException: 3 out of [0, 2] range: index (3)
>>>
>>> I find this quite clear; but we can even add another
>>> "LocalizedFormats" like
>>> "ARRAY_INDEX" if you really need the above to read:
>>>
>>>    OutOfRangeException: 3 out of [0, 2] range: array index (3)
>>>
>>> However, the crux of my point is that the "array" part is an
>>> implementation
>>> detail. A user should not care that a sequence of data is stored
>>> in an array
>>> of primitives or in a "List" or a CM's "RealVector". The real
>>> info is that
>>> the index used to access the data must fall within a range; if
>>> not, it is
>>> "out of range".
>>>
>>> Then, what I was saying in the previous post is that we should
>>> not throw
>>> AIOB because we are not the JVM. In Java, that exception is a
>>> *result* of
>>> "calling" the [] operator. Your test happens before calling it;
>>> and an
>>> "OutOfRangeException" is as accurate as necessary but not more
>>> (so as not to
>>> leak about the internals of a class).
>>
>> I can see that we are not going to agree on this.  I prefer standard
>> exceptions and it is generally accepted best practice to favor
>> them.  To say that only the JDK should throw JDK RTEs is silly,
>> IMO.  We are going to have the same problem with ConcurrentMod, IO,
>> EOF and the others currently created by MathRuntimeException.  Are
>> we going to try to shoehorn every use of any of these into some kind
>> of "some number too small" or other special [math] exceptions?  What
>> do others think about this?
>
> Well, I basically gave up on exceptions :-(
>
> Here are my views, but I would not enforce them anymore on anybody.
> I consider JDK exceptions could be used, and that we needed the
> localization (I know the view of everyone on this, so don't argue
> again). this was the reason for the createXxx exception, which had
> signatures corresponding to standard exceptions, and did subclass
> them with anonymous classes that override the JDK standard
> getMessage and getLocalizedMessage methods. This way, we combined
> both needs.

Well, I agree with your views and I am proposing that as a
compromise, we simply replace the createXxx methods in
MathRuntimeExceptions with exceptions like MathArithmeticException,
MathIllegalStateException, etc.  I am proposing in this case to add
MathArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException (extending AIOB so you can
advertise the real thing) and I will even volunteer to fill in the
remaining ones from createXxx so we don't have to argue about this
any more.

Phil