commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [math] serialVersionUID
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2011 16:17:02 GMT
Le 06/08/2011 19:00, Phil Steitz a écrit :
> On 8/6/11 5:21 AM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
>> Sébastien Brisard wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I've just realized that many classes I've submitted do not define
>>> serialVersionUID, which raises a warning. I have to say that it's
>>> something I've never done myself, but I'd like to avoid the committers
>>> the burden of inserting this. What's the rule for chosing this number?
>>> (sorry for the silly question).
>> I started to use YYYYMMDD e.g. to day I would take 20110806L. It gives me a
>> hint when the number was chosen resp. binary compatibility was last broken.
>
> Sounds reasonable.  Most of the earlier classes in [math] use the
> ids generated by the JDK utility serialver.   I think Eclipse will
> do that automatically, which is fine by me.  I am also OK with

I use eclipse for this.

I like Jörg suggestion too but have one question: is there a problem if
two different classes have the same id ? They will differ by fully
qualified class name, of course, but is it sufficient ?

> Jorg's suggestion or James' (though in the latter case, I would
> favor 42l - even though I am 42R ;).   The important thing is to put
> something there and change it when a serialization incompatible
> change is made to the class.

+1, despite I am lazy on this and change the number sometimes even if
the changes are compatible. I also never tried to set up deserialization
that would be aware of both past and current versions, as it would
really be a nightmare to maintain

Luc