commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <>
Subject Re: Nightly snapshots
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 17:03:53 GMT
Le 01/08/2011 18:41, Phil Steitz a écrit :
> On 8/1/11 9:25 AM, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
>> Le 01/08/2011 17:57, Ralph Goers a écrit :
>>> These will just be new SNAPSHOTs so deploying a new one every
>>> evening regardless of whether it has changed should be no big
>>> deal. SNAPSHOTs without a timestamp overwrite a previous one
>>> while timestamped SNAPSHOTs should be cleaned up automatically by
>>> Nexus.
>> What's the preferred strategy? Timestamped snapshots or not?
> I think its better to have a timestamp and to create full nightlies
> - not just snapshot jars, but full timestamted source and binary
> tarballs as we used to.  FWIW, I think it is better not to push
> snaps into maven repos, but rather to place tarballs in a location
> where the sources and jars can be downloaded and unpacked.  This is
> to emphasize that the reason we are providing them is for developers
> to look at the sources and test with the jars, rather than to
> encourage "snapshot dependencies."  If the machine account problem
> has been solved from vmbuild to p.a.o, this should be pretty easy to
> automate.  I may have old scripts around somewhere that worked
> modulo this problem.

I am really on the fence with nightly builds.
I fear people will start to use them as official Apache blessed
releases. They are not releases, they will change every day (or every
night). We should have prominent warnings that they represent instant
state and *cannot* be relied upon.

IMHO, when people are brave enough to test development version, they
should compile them by themselves. It is a way to filter out users that
would not even care fixing an obvious typo that make a test fail. With
nightly builds, we may end up answering many requests for more stability
even in the nightly versions.

For what purpose do we need nightly builds ? Who are the people who need
nightly builds and cannot build them by themselves ?