commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Nightly snapshots
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 16:41:20 GMT
On 8/1/11 9:25 AM, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Le 01/08/2011 17:57, Ralph Goers a écrit :
>> These will just be new SNAPSHOTs so deploying a new one every
>> evening regardless of whether it has changed should be no big
>> deal. SNAPSHOTs without a timestamp overwrite a previous one
>> while timestamped SNAPSHOTs should be cleaned up automatically by
>> Nexus.
>
> What's the preferred strategy? Timestamped snapshots or not?

I think its better to have a timestamp and to create full nightlies
- not just snapshot jars, but full timestamted source and binary
tarballs as we used to.  FWIW, I think it is better not to push
snaps into maven repos, but rather to place tarballs in a location
where the sources and jars can be downloaded and unpacked.  This is
to emphasize that the reason we are providing them is for developers
to look at the sources and test with the jars, rather than to
encourage "snapshot dependencies."  If the machine account problem
has been solved from vmbuild to p.a.o, this should be pretty easy to
automate.  I may have old scripts around somewhere that worked
modulo this problem.

Phil