commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] Release Commons VFS 2.0
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2011 17:49:10 GMT

On Aug 14, 2011, at 10:09 AM, sebb wrote:

> On 14 August 2011 18:03, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> Thanks, Sebb. See below.

of the Jira issues were reviewed and those that required a possibly incompatible API change
were addressed. Most instances of StringBuffer were replaced with StringBuilder. Some synchronization
issues were addressed. Many javadoc and some checkstyle issues were addressed. The filesystem
documentation was improved to list file system capabilities.

>>> Notice file still shows 2010.
>>>
>>> It also refers to the (optional) Javamail library.
>>> Since that is not actually included in any of the archives, it should
>>> not be mentioned.
>>>
>>> [If it were necessary to include a mention of JavaMail in NOTICE, then
>>> it would be necessary to include the corresponding license in LICENSE]
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Not a blocker, but a pain for checking the release:
>>> - lots of source files contain @version $Revision $. This uses local
>>> time, which means my checkout of SVN does not match the source
>>> archives.
>>>
>>> There are some EOL issues:
>>>
>>> svn ps svn:eol-style native README.txt
>>> svn ps svn:eol-style native RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>>> svn ps svn:eol-style native osgi/MANIFEST.MF
>>> svn ps svn:eol-style native src/changes/announcement.vm
>>>
>>> I'm not convinced that the code really needs to be
>>> binary-incompatible, but that is a separate discussion.
>>>
>>> However, the release notes ought to mention code is not source
>>> compatible with VFS 1.x and that the package name has changed.
>>>
>>> mvn install produces some warnings:
>>>
>>> [WARNING] Ignoring project type pom - supportedProjectTypes = [jar, bundle]
>>> [WARNING] DEPRECATED [tasks]: Use target instead
>>
>> I can't fix the above two lines. They are caused by changes in commons-parent version
21.

> Huh?
>
> The second warning is caused by using <tasks> instead of <target>; you
> can fix that easily.

You are right. That was the antrun plugin.

> Not sure about the first, but I would be suprised if it is anything to
> do with Commons Parent (except that later plugins may be more picky
> about obsolete syntax).

Commons Parent added the maven-bundle plugin. The Warning you are seeing there is because
it applies to all projects in a multi-project build, some of which may be declared as a type
other than bundle or jar.  It also added the jar plugin to generate the test jar. This required
me to create a bogus MANIFEST.MF in the parent project since the maven-bundle plugin doesn't
generate a manifest.

Ralph