commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Nightly snapshots
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 17:16:28 GMT

On Aug 1, 2011, at 10:03 AM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:

> Le 01/08/2011 18:41, Phil Steitz a écrit :
>>>
>>> What's the preferred strategy? Timestamped snapshots or not?
>>
>> I think its better to have a timestamp and to create full nightlies
>> - not just snapshot jars, but full timestamted source and binary
>> tarballs as we used to.  FWIW, I think it is better not to push
>> snaps into maven repos, but rather to place tarballs in a location
>> where the sources and jars can be downloaded and unpacked.  This is
>> to emphasize that the reason we are providing them is for developers
>> to look at the sources and test with the jars, rather than to
>> encourage "snapshot dependencies."  If the machine account problem
>> has been solved from vmbuild to p.a.o, this should be pretty easy to
>> automate.  I may have old scripts around somewhere that worked
>> modulo this problem.
>
> I am really on the fence with nightly builds.
> I fear people will start to use them as official Apache blessed releases. They are not
releases, they will change every day (or every night). We should have prominent warnings that
they represent instant state and *cannot* be relied upon.

> IMHO, when people are brave enough to test development version, they should compile them
by themselves. It is a way to filter out users that would not even care fixing an obvious
typo that make a test fail. With nightly builds, we may end up answering many requests for
more stability even in the nightly versions.

> For what purpose do we need nightly builds ? Who are the people who need nightly builds
and cannot build them by themselves ?

This is exactly why I am OK with SNAPSHOTs in a snapshot repository and nothing more.  This
makes it convenient for users to test the latest code without requiring that they build it
but since it isn't tagged most people who use Maven understand it shouldn't be relied on.

Ralph