commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <>
Subject Re: [math] Re: SingularValueDecompositionImpl
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:32:05 GMT

> > Also, I think that further cleanup is possible (cf. "wantu" and "wantv"
> > checks that don't seem very useful).
> This is residual from the JAMA code and is not required with our current
> interface.

I removed them in r1157281.

> I wonder if we could implement something around this.  I can conceive of
> cases where users may only want singular values and not left or right
> singular vectors, or indeed cases where users have no requirement for one of
> the left or right singular vectors.

Then such cases should be the object of a new feature request.
Implementation can be postponed to 3.1.

> It might be appropriate to calculate only what is required by a user,
> selected at construction, to speed up the implementation? I guess that this
> would be at the expense of simplicity, since it would add a constructor and
> getU() and getV() would only be supported depending on the construction.

One should be sure that the speed-up is worth it.
Another option would be to compute the requested data at first access, like
what is done for "getUT()" and "getVT()".

Can you test?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message