commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <>
Subject Re: [math] Implementation of Conjugate Gradient (MATH-581)
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2011 10:11:19 GMT

> please review a proposal for the definition of general iterative linear
> solvers, as well as the implementation of the conjugate gradient method. This
> is file attached to the JIRA MATH-581 ticket.
> Thanks for your comments!
> Actually, I *do* have a comment. For the time being,
> new AbstractIterativeLinearSolver(a, monitor)
> throws a NonSquareMatrixException when a is... not square. However, a is not a
> matrix, it is a RealLinearOperator. Should we
> 1. create a new exception, called NonSquareRealLinearOperatorException?
> 2. rename NonSquareMatrixException (as this exception does not really need to
> be specialized to matrices?
> Also, I see that the current implementation of NonSquareMatrixException does
> not allow one to recover the offending matrix/linear operator. This might be
> handy.

Then please create a
similar to what has been done for the other "...RealLinearOperatorException"

I'll subsequently change "NonSquareMatrixException" to inherit from that

P.S. Please submit a separate patch for the new exception.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message