commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [configuration] Steps towards next release
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2011 22:17:06 GMT

On Aug 14, 2011, at 2:28 PM, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> Le 13/08/2011 20:53, Oliver Heger a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> as you may have noticed, I have started some work in order to prepare a
>> release (version 1.7) of [configuration]. I assume this will be the last
>> release compatible with Java 1.4.
>
> So the release after 1.7 would be the code on the 2.0 branch ?

We have a long way to go for that branch. That said, I'd really like to do that.   With some
of the refactoring we have talked about I doubt it is going to be binary compatible in its
behavior.

>> I plan to have a look at the current Jira issues, but I hope there are
>> no major issues open which have to be addressed immediately.
>
> If possible I'd like to get CONFIGURATION-427 addressed in the 1.7 release. If it's ok
to store a list of values inside a node I suggest applying my patch without the new method
in ConfigurationNode to preserve the binary compatibility.

>> The main open point is still the snapshot dependency to [vfs]. What is
>> the status there? IMHO it is also an option to create a release branch,
>> remove the dependency there, and release 1.7 without [vfs] support. It
>> is no problem to push out another release as soon as [vfs] 2.0 becomes
>> available. WDYT?
>
> I would release 1.7 without vfs 2.0, we can still release 1.8 later when vfs is ready.

I would not recommend that. I have people using Commons Configuration on JBoss 5+ and it doesn't
work unless they are using VFSFileChangedReloadingStrategy. The normal FileChangedReloadingStrategy
can't handle the vfsfile protocol JBoss uses.

Ralph