commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [compress] Require Java5?
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 09:01:45 GMT
On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:44 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:
> On 2011-07-21, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
>
>> If we lift up to 1.5 as a minimum what about lifting to compress 2.0?
>
> Depends on what we want to do.  If we want to break BWC by introducing
> genrics, then let's do that.  I am currently withholding some work I
> started to get the permissions stuff straightened because the API would
> look quite different with enums.

I am heavily +1 on a good looking, modern API. All the compression
implementations are complex enough.

I just read you other mail on Compress-18. As I understand it, J5
would give you some more freedom on this one.

> On top Java5 would give us a pack200 compressor mor or less for free,
> but this could be done without breaking APIs as well.

Not sure what you mean - Java 5 is giving it to you for free and with
Java 1.4 you need to implement it all yourself? If this is the
question I would go for the free version. Java 1.4 is dead and even
Java 5 is old.

In the past 3 years I have not heard of any comercial project using
1.4.2. Even my financial customer recently decided to upgrade from
Java 1.3 (!!) to Java 6 - leaving out Java 1.4 ;-)

Cheers
Christian