commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <>
Subject Re: [general] mvn Release and EU Mirror Lags
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2011 08:49:56 GMT
On 27 July 2011 07:32, Stefan Bodewig <> wrote:
> On 2011-07-27, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> 2011/7/27 Stefan Bodewig <>:
>>> Hi,
>>> I just did a mvn release:prepare for Compress and it failed in the
>>> tagging stage.
>>> Since I live in Germany I access our EU svn mirror and the revision that
>>> I had created for the non-SNAPSHOT POM had not been replicated back to
>>> the mirror so it failed with "no such revision".  This is something I'm
>>> used to and it usually means "wait a few seconds and try again" - but I
>>> don't know how to "try again" in the middle of a failed release:prepare.
>> Note, that it is possible to use us mirror explicitly,
> I know, but I assume mvn is using the svn URL of the POM and not of my
> local working copy so I'd have to put the US mirror as scm URL into the
> POM.  That would be wrong.
>>> So far I created the tag manually, changed the POM to 1.3-SNAPSHOT and
>>> started the further release process from a checked out copy of the tag.
>>> I.e. I basically switched to the "manual mode" of doing releases.
>>> Is there anything else the release plugin would have done?
>> I have never used this plugin, but its documentation [1] says, that
>> the next step is "Commit the modified POMs".
> OK, did that.
>> also says that "If an error occurs, or the process is cancelled, then
>> running this command again will pick up from where the last one left
>> off."
> Maybe I should have given that a try, next time.

I much prefer creating the tag manually, using the procedure outlined here [1]

This has the advantage that trunk is never in a transitory state, and
the method is easier to understand.
It's also really easy to back out as trunk is not updated.

Also, it creates a fresh workspace for the build - there cannot be any
non-SVN files hanging around.