commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: (MATH-608) Remove methods from RealMatrix Interface
Date Sat, 02 Jul 2011 16:45:43 GMT
Marker methods is what we did in Mahout.  Marker interfaces is what I think
we perhaps should have done.

My rationale is that you can always introduce new marker interfaces without
changing the API but if you introduce a new marker method and aren't
hard-core about never using interfaces where abstract classes will do, then
you are in a world of API-change hurt.

I don't know if there is a performance difference.  Presumably the cost of
even a simple matrix operation will swamp any potential difference.