commons-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@vafer.org>
Subject Re: [logging] logging vs slf4j
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2011 08:33:03 GMT
At some stage I started to refactor commons logging into a multi
module maven project and got rid of the discovery part. So you would
have the commons-logging-api jar plus exactly one of the
implementation bridges. So you pick the logging target by putting the
correct bridge into your classpath. Similar to slf4j.

Didn't think there is still interest in commons logging. Not sure I
still have the code. I lost interest after yet another logging
discussion :) ...but it shouldn't be hard to re-create. Not sure there
is still enough interest in this.

>>> Seems to me you should focus on making Log4J the impl
>>> excellent

That sounds like work ;)

> Unfortunately, SLF4J and Logback are run under the BDFL model, not a collaboration as
is done at the ASF.

Which is one of the reasons I have always been very reluctant to use it.

cheers,
Torsten