commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [compress] Where to Place Big Test Archives?
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2011 16:30:28 GMT
On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maisonobe@free.fr> wrote:
> Le 27/07/2011 14:54, Stefan Bodewig a écrit :
>>
>> On 2011-07-27, Torsten Curdt wrote:
>>
>>> But to be clear: this is quite some work just to safe some disk space
>>> for people who check out the whole of commons but do not care about
>>> compress.
>>
>> Actually my main concern was/is the size of the source distribution and
>> network bandwidth rather than disk space.
>
> I second that. I know people who even in occidental countries still have no
> access to ADSL and can use only 56k modems, with unreliable connexion. For
> them, 15MB is huge.
>
> We should take care of the digital divide.

I do not see how. If I want to be a developer on [compress], I need to
be able to run the full test suite.

The best workaround I can see is to create a separate download for the
test data. This allows developers who need sources for debugging to
still get them without downloading GBs of test data.

Gary

> Luc
>
>> If I'm the only one who
>> thinks a 15MB file in svn trunk is excessive, then I'll be happy to shut
>> up - I'm going to need the files anyway. ;-)
>>
>> Stefan

Thank you,
Gary

http://garygregory.wordpress.com/