commons-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Sterijevski <gsterijev...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] many warnings RegressionResults and MillerUpdatingRegression
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2011 18:45:49 GMT
The errors concern the copy of the reference I am making. In the constructor
of the RegressionResults object there is the boolean flag "copyData".This
governs whether the user wants to store a copy of the data or just a copy of
the references. What I had hoped to do is avoid copying potentially large
arrays. In most cases, the user should never be between the regression
internals and the RegressionResults object.

That being said, I recognize that a user might want to instantiate
RegressionResults with data from somewhere else (eg not from a regression
source). Then the error report is absolutely correct. The mutable array
could have its values changed...

I am reticent about calling clone because, with primitive arrays, it is a
copy. We could just make the behavior of the constructor to always copy the
data. That would mean changing the signature of the method (copyData would
be dropped). Can anyone think of better way to do this?

Thanks,

-Greg