commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simone Tripodi <simonetrip...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [sandbox] class scanning + karma requests
Date Fri, 22 Jul 2011 14:20:37 GMT
Hi all guys!
That sounds really interesting!!!
I think that bringing the new ideas in existing [meiyo] APIs would
allow us releasing a new component soon!
Thanks in advance for your help and interesting, looking forward to
hear from you soon!!!
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Jakob Korherr (apacheId jakobk) is also interested and did some work in this area in
MyFaces and OWB already.

> There are 2 main parts in this project
>
> a.) A classpath scanner which does _not_ use Class.getDeclaredXxx etc, since this allocates
memory in the ClassLoader which cannot get freed up later. In a mid sized project this leads
to getting 100MB of PermGenSpace easily! This is what Davids xbean-finder fixes already by
just scanning the structure from the bytecode directly.

> b.) Lots of EE apps need to scan the classpath for annotations (e.g. MyFaces, OpenWebBeans,
Tomcat, OpenEJB, etc). So this part is done redundantly a few times when starting the server.
I hacked a quick API + SPI to do all this in one go. The trick is to introduce a register
mechanism where classscan-clients can register their needs before the scan gets performed.

> We like to do this at commons because it's really decoupled from all the single projects
and could be useful for a lot more projects which added some kind of annotation processing
lately.