commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [logging] logging vs slf4j
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2011 17:57:49 GMT
The major issue I had was https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-31.  We currently use
SLF4J for audit logging via the SLF4J extension's EventLogger and EventData. Unfortunately,
SLF4J has to convert the EventData object to XML since SLF4J/Logback don't provide a good
way of handling this. To use this I had to create a Layout "wrapper" to convert the XML back
to an EventData object so it could be used in various components. Needless to say this is
cumbersome, slow and error prone.

The Log4J 2.0 API uses a Message interface for everything. This allows the caller to have
much more control over the formatting of the objects without having to write complex layouts
that check for the presence of certain types of objects as parameters (which they can still
do of course).

Ralph