commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [compress] Where to Place Big Test Archives?
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2011 12:31:43 GMT
On 2011-07-26, Gary Gregory wrote:

> For "small" files I would not worry, the [sanselan] test data
> directory is >80MB and no one is complaining.

Really?  My DSL provider still cannot offer me more than 3MBit/s and
this is close to the city center in a town > 250k citizens in Germany, I
could imagine people get upset if they have to download files that big
on slower lines.

Sure, when I started hacking on Ant in 2000 all I had was a 28k modem,
oh my.  8-)

> Perhaps the large test files could be generated on the fly if absent
> in the user's temp directory?

This would require 5 GB of disk space in temp and a working ZIP64
implementation to create the archives.  Disk space is likely not that
big a problem anymore, but still it seems excessive.

Stefan