commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject [compress] Require Java5?
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 04:04:16 GMT
Hi,

no, this is not about generics or enums or ...

This time it is methods added in the classlib, in particular
java.util.zip.Inflater#getBytesRead and friends which return longs
rather than ints that are returned by getTotalIn.

Since ZIP entry size is an unsigned four byte int even without Zip64
support it simply doesn't fit into an int and some bugs cannot properly
be fixed by using the Java4 method. (COMPRESS-129 is one).

Things will become worse with Zip64 as we'd need unsigned longs but I'm
willing to accept that as theoretical cases.

The alternative would be to use some reflection magic inside the ZIP
package (which I'm willing to do).

Stefan