commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [compress] Require Java5?
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 09:19:01 GMT
On 2011-07-21, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:44 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 2011-07-21, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

>>> If we lift up to 1.5 as a minimum what about lifting to compress 2.0?

>> Depends on what we want to do.  If we want to break BWC by introducing
>> genrics, then let's do that.  I am currently withholding some work I
>> started to get the permissions stuff straightened because the API would
>> look quite different with enums.

> I am heavily +1 on a good looking, modern API. All the compression
> implementations are complex enough.

Agreed.  I really didn't want to to open his can of worms, though.  To
me it seems we have two questions that can be addressed separately - do
we want to require Java5 and do we want to break API compatibility.

It is quite possible the answer is yes to both.  OTOH we could do this
in two steps and release the accumulated bugfixes in a 1.2 version that
already requires Java5 but doesn't break any APIs and then redesign for
2.x using genrics and whatnot.

>> On top Java5 would give us a pack200 compressor mor or less for free,
>> but this could be done without breaking APIs as well.

> Not sure what you mean - Java 5 is giving it to you for free and with
> Java 1.4 you need to implement it all yourself?

Basically yes,
<http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/jar/Pack200.html>
only that I wouldn't implement it in Java 1.4 at all.

Stefan