commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject [compress] Proposed Roadmap
Date Fri, 22 Jul 2011 04:18:24 GMT
Hi all,

>From the responses in the Java5 thread I propose the following.

(1) Release current trunk minus a few lines of code I already added for
    initial Zip64 support plus some minor changes ASAP as 1.2

(2) Require Java5, use minimal Java5 language features to make compiler
    warnings go away, Zip64 and Pack200, maybe some other JIRAs,
    release 1.3

(3) Completely embrace Java5, use generics and enums, switch package
    name to compress2 and tackle the backwards incompatible changes we'd
    like to take.

This is not a vote, yet, but if there seems to be consensus I volunteer
to be the release manager of the next release and drive the process with
a more concrete proposal for the 1.2 release.

Sure, I've never done any release in Commons before (or performed any
release with mvn at all) so this may slow down the whole process by a
few days and make me ask embarassing questions, but I think we can live
with that.

As far as timeline goes, I see the 1.2 release really soon as in "next
week" while 1.3 probably is a few weeks of coding away.  Right now my
available time comes in bursts and I have a pretty clear picture of how
to implement Zip64 but cannot reliably estimate when it will be ready.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message