commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject [compress] Potential Backwards Incompatible Change to JAR Package
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2011 14:44:37 GMT
Hi,

I was looking through some old stuff we postponed last year when we
released Compress 1.1.  One of them is COMPRESS-18 where I provided a
patch but didn't commit it.

Our JAR package doesn't provide the stuff java.util.jar does and is
actually pretty useless - there isn't anything in it not provded by the
ZIP package already.  COMPRESS-18 asks for some java.util.jar features
that would be pretty convoluted to implement if we used our own ZIP
stuff but trivial to implement if we used java.util.jar (which is what
the patch does).

The drawback of said patch is that it is not backwards compatible, see
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMPRESS-18?focusedCommentId=12843202&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-12843202>

Personally I don't expect anybody to use the JAR package at all today
so I'd do with a warning, apply the patch and keep 1.2 as the version
number for the next release.  Other options would be the "convoluted
implementation", "just don't fix it" or a bump to version 2.0.

Stefan