commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [math] Adding a new class to handle Matrix with 3 columns/rows
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2011 07:01:39 GMT
Le 26/07/2011 17:59, Tanguy Yannick a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> In project SIRIUS (CNES), we have some need for a Matrix33 (3 columns, 3
> rows) object. It is very common to use this kind of matrix to apply
> rotation to a position vector (vector3D).
>
> The incompatibility between the Vector3D of geometry package and the
> matrix/vectors of the linear package is a lack that we propose to fill
> by creating a "Matrix33" in the geometry.threed package.

Looks finie to me.

> This new matrix will only propose basic methods, optimized for this size
> of matrix : add, substract, product (Vector3D or Matrix33), transpose,
> determinant, isSymmetric ..

Do you intend to provide solvers too ? For such small size matrices,
with an explicit dimension, it could even be done using inlined Cramer
method.

> We will also propose some new constructors to build gaps between this
> new matrix and the matrix of linear package.

Yes, having a way to change from one view to the other is a clear need.

> Thanks for your advice about this feature.

As per all contributions you may propose, be aware of the Apache
Software Foundation motto you will see at the beginning of the
foundation home page: "We consider ourselves not simply a group of
projects sharing a server, but rather a community of developers and users."

We are happy to get contributions, but only as long as they come with
some involvement and willingness to maintain them. Of course, very small
contributions can be dealt with by the existing community, but we simply
don't have the resources to maintain large contributions we didn't wrote
and which are dumped at us.

best regards,
Luc