commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] where to place custom PMD rules?
Date Sat, 23 Jul 2011 15:52:38 GMT
On 7/23/11 5:48 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in Compress we have quite a few classes that use constants that deal
> with Unix permission flags, those are most naturally expressed as octals
> so I'd like to modify the basic ruleset to exclude the
> AvoidUsingOctalValues rule.
>
> I'm not familiar with the PMD plugin but think the easiest way to do
> that is by adding a rules file of my own that "ref"s the basic ruleset
> excluding the octal rule.  Is there some sort of standard location in
> mvn builds where I'd place such a custom rules file inside the source
> tree?

I have not done this, but it looks to me like the way to do this is
to specify the rule file location in the maven pmd plugin config, as
in [1].  I would just put the file in the base directory of
[compress] (as we generally do for checkstyle.xml, findbugs, etc.)
and then specify that in the config - i.e., use "${basedir}/pmd.xml"
for the config file location.

Phil

[1]
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-pmd-plugin/examples/usingRuleSets.html