commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <>
Subject Re: (MATH-608) Remove methods from RealMatrix Interface
Date Sat, 02 Jul 2011 02:18:41 GMT
On 7/1/11 5:31 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Greg Sterijevski <>wrote:
>> This may be a problem. Type erasure might necessitate some tricky use of
>> generics.
> That won't help.  Good coding practice is to declare a variable with as weak
> a type as possible so that libraries have maximum freedom to act.  That
> means that the generics framework has nothing to work with in terms of type
> inferencing.
> Also, if I am writing a library function, I want to specify my input as very
> weak types to maximize the generality of my code.  By I want those matrices
> that I am passed to still dispatch to the most efficient implementation for
> matrix operations.  For instance, if I am normalizing a matrix, I want to
> say divide by the norm and have the matrix know how to compute the norm
> quickly and not go scaling all the sparse zeros that may not exist in the
> matrix.  I desperately DON'T want to put restrictive types in my application
> code that is normalizing.
>> On the SVD, if that's a bug, then the method which yields a reference to
>> the
>> data array in realmatrix is also a bug.
> Pretty much.
> But I gave up on worrying about API bugs in frozen projects like Math.

Please stop wasting bandwidth with worthless comments like above.
Specific, implementable, concrete suggestions for improvement to the
[math] API are welcome and have been and will be implemented.
Patches welcome.  Winging as above, not.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message