commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [logging] logging vs slf4j
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2011 02:08:33 GMT
Yes, Ceki created SLF4J and Logback based on his experience with 1.2 and 1.3.  The logging
community is pretty small and really could use more people involved. I've had quite a bit
of experience with logging for my employer as our needs are a bit different than what most
people use a logging framework for. As a consequence, one of my primary focuses has been to
make sure those use cases are supported, in addition to what SLF4J, Logback and Log4j do.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2 is where all the feature requests currently reside.
Log4j 1.x is in bugzilla.

Ralph

On Jul 28, 2011, at 5:39 PM, Paul Benedict wrote:

> Good deal Ralph! Didn't the creator of Log4j abandon the 1.2/1.3
> branch to make SLF4J? Anyways, I have no idea why all the creativity
> for logging went outside of Apache, but I would definitely like to see
> a version 2.0.
>
> You taking feature requests yet in JIRA? :-)
>
> Paul
>
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 7:25 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> FWIW, I have been working heavily on Log4J version 2 and would hope you'd help with
that before going to SLF4J [1]. I have separated the API and Impl in a manner similar to SLF4J/Logback
but am working to correct some problems I've encountered using each of those where I work.

>> Ralph
>>
>> [1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/branches/BRANCH_2_0_EXPERIMENTAL/rgoers/
>>

>> On Jul 28, 2011, at 1:01 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:
>>
>>> Personally I'm happy for commons-logging to die. :)

:)